Saturday, January 17, 2009

Day 8 - The Learning Experience

I had an interesting experience today. It’s Day 8 and it’s Friday night. My dear husband really wanted to go out to eat. He wanted to indulge in a giant cheeseburger. I understood this desire; I used to have the same craving every once in a while. He wanted to go to Chili’s but was concerned that I might have trouble finding something appropriate to eat. I assured him that I could make due. “I’ll just bring my churna and I’ll be fine,” I told him.

It was a lovely thought, but I realized when we were a third of the way there that I left my churna on the counter. I really didn’t want to turn around so I chalked it up as a learning experience. When we arrived the hostess was very excited to tell us that they had a new menu for us to check out. I sat down and in front of me was a page with the title “Triple Dipper” – 9 menu items to choose from with dipping sauces. It looked wonderful. I didn’t even bother opening the menu. I declared the “Triple Dipper” as my ultimate choice for the evening.

I ordered a hot tea, hoping that would ease any digestive issues and vowed to eat slowly and chew everything very well. I ordered the spinach-avocado dip, southwest egg rolls, and some sort of glazed chicken thing. My husband ordered the mushroom-swiss burger.

When the food arrived I was all a flutter. His burger looked divine and my goodies didn’t look too shabby either. I tried to put in the back of my mind the fact that the southwest egg rolls and the chicken looked deep fried and decided to start off with the two celery pieces they gave me (the only real vegetable on the plate).

About half way through the meal I felt my stomach getting angry. It didn’t matter much how slow I ate or how long I chewed. The deep fried items were causing a ruckus. I desperately longed for my churna. I chose not to beat myself up and planned to make a cup of Yogi brand Stomach Ease tea when I got home.

By the time I left the restaurant my stomach was cramping and was noticeably distended. My angry stomach was retaliating by creating a gas bubble. I could only anticipate belching and flatulence in my near future.

Thankfully, when I arrive home I made myself a cup of hot, stomach ease tea and put a drop of peppermint essential oil on my tongue. It wasn’t long and my stomach was back on track. The stomach ease tea made a huge difference. My bloating went away, but it required some gas to be expelled. My husband and I spent the night burping and farting. It was a romantic way to end the evening.

I saw a sign on the wall of the restaurant that said, “There’s no place like Chili’s”. This is true, but my stomach would have to agree with Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, “There’s no place like home”. Especially when we’re talking about healthy, well cooked food.

For Ayurvedic supplements that aid digestion visit http://www.joytreeinc.com/page/183836203

No comments:

Post a Comment