Saturday, January 17, 2009

Day 6 - Doing What I Gotta Do to Keep My Balance

Today’s events caused me to be traveling a bit which is a very Vata inducing activity. Since Vata is a combination of air and ether and air is all about movement. Excessive travel has the ability to aggravate Vata and since I’ve been working so diligently to reduce my Vata, it was important for me to take the necessary precautions to ensure that I did’t get myself out of whack today.

It was a chilly day today so I made sure I bundled up appropriately. Winter is a Vata season so the cold and wind that Winter brings can wreak havoc on a Vata body type. I’ve learned that even though I live in Florida it doesn’t mean that it can’t get chilly. I’ve also learned that sometimes it means I have to dress warmer than the average Floridian. Sometimes people make fun of me for my scarves and gloves but I’d rather be warm than look cool.

I started my day with my usual routine hot herbal tea, grounding yoga, warm spiced oatmeal and made sure to give myself a good rub down with my personal massage oil. I also packed my supplements and my churna (spice blend) in my purse since I knew I was going to be having lunch with my mom. I kinda felt like I was packing an Ayurvedic diaper bag for myself.

After my first appointment of the day I drove to my mom’s house. She was kind enough to make me a delicious smoothie of greens, grape juice and fruits. I was little nervous when I discovered she used frozen fruit to make her smoothies. On this cold day a cold smoothie was not the best option for my Vata body. I made due by putting my jacket back on while I ate it and was sure to follow it up with a cup of hot tea to balance the out the coldness.

Since my mom is on a 30 day fast in preparation for a trip to India she will be making in 3 weeks I wasn’t too concerned about the lunch she had in store for me. I was delighted to have a luscious plate of yellow rice with vegetables served to me with a peach vinaigrette on the side. I was sure to sprinkle a heavy dose of my trusty churna which added the necessary digestive spices to complete the meal.

After that it was off to the Indian grocery store to pick up some more split mung beans and ajwan seeds for my next batch of kitchari I plan to make tomorrow. I also picked up some cardamom seeds, an expensive spice that they had for a very reasonable price.

Tomorrow I plan to make another batch of immune soup to go with my kitchari. This will be my third batch of immune soup in two weeks. For some reason I just can’t get enough of it. But that’s OK, if that’s what my body wants, I’m more than happy to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment