Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 16 - The Ultimate Food Orgasm

I’m proud to say that my new cookbook, “Eat, Taste Heal: An Ayurvedic Guidebook and Cookbook for Healthy Living” arrived this week. I’ve never been so excited about a cookbook before. I breezed through it and made mental notes of the recipes I wanted to try and made my list of the ingredients I’d need to get started.

The cookbook is broken down according to body types and what recipes apply to each. It also offers modifications of recipes to make them appropriate for other body types. For breakfasts, I’ve already made the Spiced Oatmeal and the Stewed Apples with dates and cinnamon. Phenomenal! I think the Stewed Apples could also work well for a dessert – it was the perfect fall/winter treat.

I’ve also experimented with the Mint and Cinnamon Lassi, the Braised Chicken, the Roasted Tuscan Vegetables with fresh cilantro sauce and the Berry Soup. Everything was so scrumptious; I think I had a “food orgasm”. I already knew that healthy meals can be fun, but this is just over the top delicious. I think I’m in love.

The recipes are pretty simple and don’t seem to take too much prep time. For people on the go, I’m sure you could prepare some things ahead of time to make it easier. For example, when you come home from the grocery store, immediately chop your vegetables and store them until you’re ready to make the meal. If you have to think ahead, do it. It’s worth the time and effort to eat such beautiful foods.

Food is life. Preparing it is an art. We have a saying in my family, “everything tastes better at Grandma’s house”. That’s because she cooks it with love. Her love goes into the food, blessing it and making it taste even better.

There are studies out there that clearly show the molecular changes that happen in water when it is blessed with positive thoughts or words. The book “Hidden Messages in Water” by Masura Imoto, shows how gorgeous crystals form in water that has been blessed with simple words like “love” or “gratitude”. Words like “hate” or phrases like “You fool!” cause the water molecules to mutate.

Our bodies are mostly water. Fruits, vegetables and many other foods have a fair amount of water in them. If that’s the case, why not take the time to bless your food before you put it into your body? For that matter why not bless your body and others by offering kind words rather than insults?

We think we don’t have enough time to cook fresh, healthy meals for ourselves and our families. But can we really afford not to? Our bodies aren’t just machines – they’re alive. They need living, healthy foods to keep them from getting sick and tired. Do yourself a favor, put some care in the foods you eat. Your body will thank you a thousand times over.

I can tell you from first hand experience, now that I’m consciously choosing the foods I eat and putting care into their preparation, my body is responding by expressing itself with vitality, happiness and improved overall function. Fast food could never compare to what I’ve got going on in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment