Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day 17 - Tricks of the Trade

I had to dance in another show this evening so I spent the day doing what I needed to do to keep myself relaxed and grounded for the event. My delicious herbal tea served me well today and I made sure I packed a bottle of it in my dance bag to take with me to the gig. It keeps me hydrated while at the same time allowing me the nourishment and therapeutic benefits of the herbs.

Rodney Yee’s Power Yoga Flexibility was the perfect way to start out my morning and to ensure my muscles were nice and limber for my performance. It’s a 30 minute yoga video and I follow it up with 30 minutes of meditation. I can’t think of a better way to get my body charged and my mind centered for the day.

For breakfast, I tried out another recipe from the “Eat, Taste, Heal” cookbook – Hot Quinoa Cereal with Warm, Spiced Milk and Honey. It was incredibly tasty and there was enough left over for my husband and I to enjoy another helping tomorrow morning. It was extremely important to me that I fuel my body with healthy foods for a night of dancing.

I spent the morning lying out in the sun – thankfully the weather had warmed up enough to allow me this luxury. Time in nature is a sure fire way for me to charge my internal battery and relax my mind. After that I enjoyed a fresh veggie burger and some roasted veggies as well as some chilled berry soup.

I prepared myself for my dance show by doing my dry skin brushing before my shower and my self massage after. I was also sure to pack my dance bag with different essential oils and oil blends. This makes me very popular among my fellow dancers who know they can count on me for essential oils that help to relieve headaches, increase mental clarity (so we can remember our choreographies), peppermint oil for breath and digestion as well as blends to relax tight muscles. I also brought a vial of Rescue Remedy, a homeopathic remedy that relieves stress. I find this is helpful for pre-show jitters, anxiety or stage fright.

The show went off without a hitch. I felt really centered and focused during all of my dances and felt energetic with no stress before, during or after the show. I made sure I gave myself another rub down with my personal massage oil before bed to relax my muscles and to calm my body for sleep. I did find that my mind was reeling a little as I laid down to sleep, but I found I was focusing on the joys of the night rather than the mistakes like I have so many times in the past.

It was still pretty tiring so I’m sure I’ll be taking it a little easy on myself tomorrow. It’s not always a good idea for people with a Vata imbalance to be up late at night with a lot of activity so I’m going to have to continue my maintenance tomorrow to make sure I stay in balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment