Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Day 11 - Better Food - More Energy

Wow, I feel really good today! I am really digging this Ayurveda stuff. It’s crazy. I’ve been an Ayurvedic Practitioner for 4 years and I thought was pretty passionate about Ayurvedic Medicine. But I think I was passionate about the idea of it. It made sense to me. I’ve seen what it can do for other people. Last year I even went through a 7 day Ayurvedic detoxification and rejuvenation program called Pancha Karma and felt like I was on top of the world because I felt so good.

But here’s the difference between then and now… During Pancha Karma your Ayurvedic Practitioner and the supporting therapists do everything for you. They cook for you. They do all the therapies on you. They give you different “homework” assignments to assist you in your personal growth. But it was always someone else doing the work. You see, that’s the difference here. This time it’s all me. This time no one else is doing it for me. I’m doing all my own cooking. I’m giving myself the massage. I’m initiating the yoga. I’m listening to my body and doing what’s necessary for me and my state of balance.

And I feel so good! Today I had extra energy in the afternoon and decided I really felt like going on a power walk around my 2.5 acre property. This from a person who in previous months felt like she couldn’t get through the afternoon without a power nap. I’ve gone from an afternoon power nap to an afternoon power walk. How cool is that?

Two things I was really hoping to get out of this: more energy and more excitement about the whole cooking thing. My desire to cook used to go in fits and starts. I now realize that in most cases I can makes something that’s healthier, tastier and better for my individual body type than what I could find at a restaurant.

I know there are people out there who say they don’t have time to cook. I understand. I used to be one of those people. But in these past 11 days I’ve noticed myself getting more excited about cooking and about the possibilities of delicious foods that I can make. I also see the way my body reacts to the food. I can eat more without getting that false full feeling and my body is digesting better and utilizing the nutrients in a more efficient way.

Today I tried my first hand at Thai cooking. I made a sumptuous green curry chicken with steamed vegetables and rice. Tomorrow I’m planning on making a vegetable and barley soup.

On our way to the grocery store today I said to my husband, “Do you want to hear something crazy?”

“Sure.” He replied.

“Now that I’m into cooking all these fabulous meals, I’m actually excited about going to the grocery store.” That’s a new one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment