Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 1 of Ayurvedic Living

Before I went to bed last night I thought I’d try the Rescue Remedy Sleep. Well, it definitely worked, I slept 45 minutes later than usual. I’m typically up by 7:00 and this morning it was a quarter to 8 before I finally got my butt out of bed. I’m not complaining, but I new I had at least an hour of yoga I had to get to.

My personal herbal tea was already made the day before so I started my morning with a nice hot cup of tea. I must say that I wasn’t completely looking forward to the yoga as I was still feeling pretty tired. But I found that once I got started it was a simple transition. The yoga felt fantastic. It cured the stiffness I felt when woke up and helped me to feel peaceful and grounded. I was totally present and didn’t seem to start my day worrying about what needed to be done. The hour went very smoothly but I found I could only make it through a few minutes of meditation at the end because I was so hungry.

Breakfast consisted of oatmeal that had been soaked overnite along with raisons and almonds. It’s always best to soak these items for Vata body types so we can digest them easier. I sautéed some apples in ghee (clarified butter) with cinnamon and added them to the mixture along with some spices (cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, coriander, nutmeg and allspice). Topped it off with a delightful mango-honey sauce and had some Ezekiel bread toasted with ghee on the side. Another cup of herbal tea along with my pau d’ arco and olive leaf extract supplements and I was good to go.

Before I hopped in the shower I made sure to do my tongue scraping, dry skin brushing and a nasal rinse with my trusty neti pot. The nasal rinse proved successful – a big glob of yellow mucous broke loose which made my head clearer. Goodbye congestion! I followed up my shower with a wonderful self massage using my personal blend massage oil which made me feel relaxed and peaceful, not to mention the fact that my skin moisturized and I smelled wonderful.

Not a bad way to start off the day. But I have to say, I’m glad I didn’t have any appointments until later this afternoon because it took me a good two hours or so to accomplish all of this. If I’m going to keep this up for another 29 days, I’m definitely going to have to get up earlier.

There was a lot of cooking going on today. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to find a way to streamline that process as well. Lunch consisted of tilapia with a coconut curry sauce, jasmine rice with parsley and lemon juice and spaghetti squash. Delightful! I also had another dose of my pau d’ arco supplements along with my shatavari. For dinner I enjoyed a fresh veggie burger with lettuce tomato, Boursin cheese and balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a bowl of immune soup.

By days end, I drank about eight cups of my herbal tea. Seeing how therapeutic consumption should be about four to six cups per day, I’d say I did pretty well. But then again, I drank only tea I drank all day long.

Before I go to bed I will take my triphala supplement, give myself another rub down with my essential oil blend and have some more Rescue Remedy Sleep to ensure a restful sleep. All in all I felt the day one was pretty successful. I felt more grounded and more peaceful than I have in quite a while. We’ll see what happens tomorrow, day two.

For more information on Self Massage visit http://www.joytreeinc.com/page/187508205

1 comment:

  1. Way to lead a ayurvedic life. Ayurvedic Lifestyle not only gives better prospects for life longevity but also improves the quality of life.

    Soins du Corps Marseille

    ReplyDelete