Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 29 - Cooking is Now a Spiritual Experience

I made an incredible discovery today. As I reflected on this month of self-healthcare, I noticed an important and unexpected blessing. Cooking is becoming a sort of spiritual practice for me. The entire process has become blessed.

It starts when I wash my vegetables, soak my beans or even when I boil water. I begin to get in touch with the foods. As I chop vegetables or juice fruits I take in their color, texture, smell and consider the different vitamins and minerals they provide. I find myself being so grateful for the bounty of the Earth and for all of the people that worked so hard to bring these wonderful foods to my kitchen.

I add oils, spices and seasonings to my recipes and they begin to evolve in this amazing amalgamation of tastes and textures. I now have the experience of cooking as a beautiful form of art. This is new for me. I’ve never been this connected to my food or this excited about cooking. My 30 days of living the Ayurvedic lifestyle was worth it just for that.

It’s true what they say, “You are what you eat.” I know from my education as an Ayurvedic Practitioner the therapeutic benefits of foods, herbs and spices. I know what I’m putting in my body. So if I am what I eat, I am colorful, delicious, nutritious and easily digestible. I am fresh and life-affirming.

Today my husband and I met my parents at a local restaurant to see them off before they fly off to India for two weeks. It was a restaurant I usually enjoy, but I wasn’t into it. I was disenchanted by the experience. I ate a home cooked lunch before I left the house and when we got to the restaurant, I only ordered a smoothie. I’ve realized that I have the ability to make better tasting, healthier meals for less money than the restaurants.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with eating out every once in a while. But I’m recognizing my new viewpoint when it comes to my own cooking. I used to find cooking and grocery shopping to be such an annoying chore. Going out to eat was my thing. If I ever had the choice, I’d prefer going out to eat every time. And even that has changed in me.

Valentines Day is coming up soon and my husband and I were recently listening to a radio station that is giving away a free dinner and his and hers massages. My husband lit up and said, “What do you want to do for Valentines Day.” I laughed and said, “I like the radio station’s idea but we can do the same thing without leaving home. We can cook a fabulous meal and give each other massages.”

Self-healthcare is my new thing. I’m discovering new aspects of myself and having new experiences of myself. It’s like rediscovering me all over again. This is me as a healthy person. It’s a new and improved me. I like this person.

No comments:

Post a Comment