Friday, February 6, 2009

Day 27 - What Happens after Day 30?

Today I found myself feeling a little fearful about my state of health. Don’t get me wrong, this 30 day commitment to Ayurvedic living has left me feeling absolutely fantastic. It’s just that I was comparing the new me to the old me or rather my state of health prior to this 30 day journey and a little fear crept in. What if I fall off the wagon of my healthful regimen?

I guess its part of our human nature. As soon as we achieve something or gain something we begin to fear we are going to lose it. And although it was a fleeting moment of fear it got me thinking…

We’ve grown accustomed to the stories of people who have accomplished great things like losing a ton of weight or people who have overcome an addiction only to find themselves right back where they started or worse months or even years down the line. So in that sense, I suppose my concern is valid.

I’ve been so committed to my health and maintaining my state of balance and I’m loving the results. I’m also blessed with a rather controlled environment and the luxury of having a home based business. There are some pitfalls I’ve managed to avoid during these last 27 days and there are some I’ve been thrown right into. But, I still managed to keep myself balanced.

Next week I will be starting a part time position at a local health magazine and I couldn’t help but wonder how it’s going to affect the schedule I’ve become accustomed to. I know I’m going to have to be vigilant in continuing to make my herbal tea, doing my yoga, meditation and self massage. I know I’m going to have to make sure my diet and my new found love of Ayurvedic cooking stays true.

I know that there are holidays, parties and dinner invitations in my future that will more than likely offer foods that will not jive with my body type. I know that old habits die hard and I live in a society where convenience is paramount – processed foods, fast food, sugar laden treats and caffeinated beverages are the norm. Our society thrives on drama, stress, sex and violence. The potential for imbalance is everywhere.

Then I realized I have to let it go. Like my Ayurvedic teacher said, “It’s what you do most of the time that counts.” There are so many things about Ayruvedic Medicine that I absolutely love and I’ve seen the benefits first hand. Once I finally let go of my fear, I recognized that I’ve actually made it this far in spite of the many temptations. I remained committed to my balanced living.

This blog has helped me to be accountable for my health and wellness. Knowing that I have to do daily posts on my progress has helped to keep me on track. In three days it will be up to me to maintain the momentum I’ve created. Can I do it? Yeah, you know what? I think I can. As long as I remain in tune with my body it will tell me what’s working or not working. I have the knowledge, the willingness and the technology to do this.

When all is said and done, I guess there is nothing for me to fear but fear itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment